Health Information and Tools >  Help for Anger Problems
Facebook Tweet Email Share

Main Content

Help for Anger Problems

Topic Overview

Use one of the following resources if you are or know of a parent or caregiver having trouble controlling angry feelings. Actions done in moments of anger can be harmful and abusive.

  • Check your local phone book or provincial website for resources on getting help in your area.
  • Parents Anonymous. Self-help groups serving parents under stress as well as children who have been abused, are available throughout Canada, Europe, and the United States. To locate a group in your area, check the listings in your phone book under Parents Anonymous.
  • Social service departments. Many social service agencies involved with child abuse investigation also offer services to parents under stress. Agencies are listed in the phone book, usually under provincial services.
  • Kids Help Phone. Kids and teens can call 1-800-668-6868.


  • Find Supports and Services. Visit one of the websites below, visit, or call one of the numbers.
    • Family Violence Info Line. Chat online at or call 310-1818.
    • Bullying: Get Help. Chat online at or call 1-888-456-2323.
    • Child Abuse Hotline. Visit or call 1-800-387-5437.

British Columbia

  • Keeping Kids Safe From Abuse in BC
    • 310-1234

New Brunswick

  • Emergency Social Services
    • 1-800-442-9799


  • Distress Centres Ontario: Member Centres
    • Visit to find the phone number for a crisis line in your calling area.


  • Domestic Violence. Go to or call 1-888-933-9007.
  • Batshaw Youth and Family Centres Foundation. Call Youth Protection Services at (514) 935-6196 or visit for more information.


  • Government of Saskatchewan: Child Abuse and Neglect
    • Go to for a list of local child protection offices and their contact information.


  • Family and Children's Services. Visit or call 1-800-661-0408, ext. 3002.
  • VictimLink. Visit the Department of Justice "Need Help? Phone Directory" at or call 1-800-563-0808.

Other provinces and territories

  • Check your local phone book or provincial or territorial website.


Current as of: September 23, 2020

Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review:
William H. Blahd Jr. MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
H. Michael O'Connor MD - Emergency Medicine

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated, disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. Learn how we develop our content.