Unilateral neglect is when the brain ignores body parts or objects on either the right or left side. A person with unilateral neglect may only dress one side of the body or shave one side of the face. He may bump into things on the neglected side. He
may also tend to turn his head toward the unaffected side.
To help make the person more aware of the neglected side:
- sit on the neglected side when talking to him
- touch or hold the hand on the neglected side
- remind him to watch his neglected side as he goes through doorways or around furniture
- put objects that he wants or needs on his neglected side
- when he’s dressing, have him dress the neglected side first