Alcohol is a depressant that impacts the whole body, including the central nervous system (the brain), cardiovascular system (the heart), and respiratory system (the lungs and breathing). When someone drinks too much alcohol or too quickly, it can overwhelm or suppress the healthy performance of these systems in the body. This can lead to the person passing out or having an alcohol overdose. A person can die from an alcohol overdose if their respiratory system (breathing) shuts down.
Signs of an overdose include:
Don’t take chances when a life is at stake. If you see any of these symptoms in someone who has been drinking, get medical help as soon as possible.
The position doesn’t have to be perfect, it’s more important to keep their airway open so fluids like vomit can drain from their mouth.
Current as of: February 9, 2017
Author: Addiction & Mental Health, Alberta Health Services
This material is for information purposes only. It should not be used in place of medical advice, instruction, or treatment. If you have questions, talk with your doctor or appropriate healthcare provider. This information may be printed and distributed without permission for non-profit, education purposes. The content on this page may not be changed without consent of the author. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.