What are the benefits of bariatric surgery?
The most important benefits of bariatric surgery are weight loss, better health, and quality of life. Other benefits of bariatric surgery may include:
- more weight loss than other treatments alone
- closer to normal blood sugar levels and blood pressure
- being able to breathe more easily
- being able to move better and be more active
- better fertility and pregnancy outcomes
- a lower risk of death from heart disease and some types of cancer
What are the risks of bariatric surgery?
The risks of bariatric surgery include:
- nausea or vomiting
- a higher risk of having low levels of certain vitamins and minerals
- needing to have plastic surgery to remove extra skin after a lot of weight loss
- changes in mental health or changes to relationships with friends and family (these changes may make things better or worse)
- gaining back some or all of the weight lost after surgery
- blood clots, leaks in the intestines, infections, or even death (in rare cases)