Choosing to have or not have bariatric surgery is a personal decision. There are many reasons why you may decide to have bariatric surgery, including being ready to have the surgery and make lifestyle changes, feeling you can keep these lifestyle changes for the rest of your life, knowing why you want to have the surgery, and what your expectations are after having bariatric surgery.
At an Alberta Health Services bariatric clinic, you and your healthcare team will decide if bariatric surgery is the right treatment for you. Your journey and experience will be your own and may be different than others who are thinking about having or have had bariatric surgery. Thinking about having the surgery is the first step in this journey.
Why do I want to have bariatric surgery?
There are many reasons why people choose to have bariatric surgery. Take time to think about why you want to have surgery. Answer the questions below to help you decide if bariatric surgery is right for you.
- What are my reasons for wanting bariatric surgery?
- Is having bariatric surgery something that I want or what someone else wants me to have?
- Will bariatric surgery have an impact on being able to do things that are important to me?
- Am I ready to make the changes I need before I can have bariatric surgery?
- Am I willing to go to regular appointments to talk to my healthcare team about my health and wishes to have bariatric surgery?
You have learned that you need to make lifelong changes before and after you have bariatric surgery. Knowing if you are ready to make these changes will help you to decide if bariatric surgery is the right choice for you. You may want to think about:
- Am I really ready to make lifestyle changes or do I just want the results?
- Do I really want to make lifestyle changes to improve my health and weight?
- Is this a good time to make a change?
- When I have made changes in the past, what has helped make these changes work?
- Do I have all the information and knowledge I need to make these changes?
- If I don’t think bariatric surgery is right for me now, am I ready to explore other options to help manage my health and weight?
There may be some things you’re not ready to do yet. That’s okay. Focus on the changes you’re ready to make. For those changes you aren’t ready to make, take the time to learn more about why these changes are important. It’s also normal to have other things going on in your life. You may need to deal with something else in your life before you are ready to have bariatric surgery. Talk to your healthcare provider about what you can do and other ways to help manage obesity if you’re not ready for surgery.
If you still have questions about having bariatric surgery or don’t know what to do, write down your questions and concerns. Take these with you to your next appointment with your healthcare provider.
The knowledge check will help you better understand what you need to think about before you have bariatric surgery.