Health Information and Tools >  Help for Anger Problems
Facebook Tweet Email Share
Print the content on this page Decrease the font size of content Increase the font size of content

Main Content

Help for Anger Problems

Topic Overview

Use one of the following resources if you are or know of a parent or caregiver having trouble controlling angry feelings. Actions done in moments of anger can be harmful and abusive.

  • Check your local phone book or provincial website for resources on getting help in your area.
  • Parents Anonymous. Self-help groups serving parents under stress as well as children who have been abused, are available throughout Canada, Europe, and the United States. To locate a group in your area, check the listings in your phone book under Parents Anonymous.
  • Social service departments. Many social service agencies involved with child abuse investigation also offer services to parents under stress. Agencies are listed in the phone book, usually under provincial services.
  • Kids Help Phone. Kids and teens can call 1-800-668-6868.


  • Find Supports and Services. Call one of the numbers or visit one of the websites below or visit
    • Family Violence Info Line. Call 310-1818 or chat online at
    • Bullying: Get Help. Call 1-888-456-2323 or chat online at
    • Child Abuse Hotline. Call 1-800-387-5437 or visit

British Columbia

  • Keeping Kids Safe From Abuse in BC
    • 310-1234

New Brunswick

  • Emergency Social Services
    • 1-800-442-9799


  • Distress Centres Ontario: Member Centres
    • Visit to find the phone number for a crisis line in your calling area.


  • Domestic Violence. Go to
  • Batshaw Youth and Family Centres Foundation. Call Youth Protection Services at (514) 935-6196 or visit


  • Government of Saskatchewan: Child Abuse and Neglect
    • Go to for a list of local child protection offices and their contact information.


  • Family and Children's Services. Call 1-800-661-0408, ext. 3002, or visit
  • VictimLink. Call 1-800-563-0808. Or visit the Department of Justice "Need Help? Phone Directory" at

Other provinces and territories

  • Check your local phone book or provincial or territorial website.


Current as ofSeptember 11, 2018

Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
H. Michael O'Connor, MD, MMEd, FRCPC - Emergency Medicine