Laparoscopic Bowel Resection: Before Your Child's Surgery
What is a laparoscopic bowel resection?
This surgery removes a piece of the small or large intestine (bowel).
Your doctor puts a lighted tube through small cuts in your child's belly. The tube is called a scope. Your doctor uses the scope to see your child's organs. The doctor puts surgical tools through the cuts to take out part of the intestine.
Most people stay in the hospital for 2 to 5 days. Your child can go back to his or her activities in 2 to 4 weeks.
Follow-up care is a key part of your child's treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor if your child is having problems. It's also a good idea to know your child's test results and keep a list of the medicines your child takes.
How do you prepare for surgery?
Surgery can be stressful for both your child and you. This information will help you understand what you can expect. And it will help you safely prepare for your child's surgery.
Preparing for surgery
- Talk to your child about the surgery. Tell your child that this surgery can help fix the belly problem. Hospitals know how to take care of children. The staff will do all they can to make it easier for your child.
- Ask if a special tour of the surgery area and hospital is available. This may make your child feel less nervous about what happens.
- Plan for your child's recovery time. He or she may need more of your time right after the surgery, both for care and for comfort.
- Understand exactly what surgery is planned, along with the risks, benefits, and other options.
- Tell the doctor ALL the medicines and natural health products your child takes. Some may increase the risk of problems during the surgery. Your doctor will tell you if your child should stop taking any of them before the surgery and how soon to do it.
The day before surgery
- A nurse may call you (or you may need to call the hospital). This is to confirm the time and date of your child's surgery and answer any questions.
- Remember to follow your doctor's instructions about your child taking or stopping medicines before surgery. This includes over-the-counter medicines.
What happens on the day of surgery?
Follow the instructions exactly about when your child should stop eating and drinking. If you don't, the surgery may be cancelled. If the doctor told you to have your child take his or her medicines on the day of surgery, have your child take them with only a sip of water.
See that your child has bathed. Do not apply lotion or deodorant.
Your child may brush his or her teeth. But tell your child not to swallow any toothpaste or water.
Do not let your child wear contact lenses. Bring your child's glasses or contact lens case.
Be sure your child has something that reminds him or her of home. A special stuffed animal, toy, or blanket may be comforting. For an older child, it might be a book or music.
At the hospital or surgery centre
- A parent or legal guardian must accompany your child.
- Your child will be kept comfortable and safe by the anesthesia provider. Your child will be asleep during the surgery.
- After surgery, your child will be taken to the recovery room. As your child wakes up, the recovery room staff will monitor his or her condition. The doctor will talk to you about the surgery.
- You will probably be able to take your child home 2 to 5 days after the surgery.
When should you call your doctor?
- You have questions or concerns.
- You don't understand how to prepare your child for the surgery.
- Your child becomes ill before the surgery (such as fever, influenza (flu), or a cold).
- You need to reschedule or have changed your mind about your child having the surgery.
Where can you learn more?
Go to https://www.healthwise.net/patientEd
Enter N405 in the search box to learn more about "Laparoscopic Bowel Resection: Before Your Child's Surgery".
Current as of: June 6, 2022
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review:John Pope MD - Pediatrics & Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & Kenneth Bark MD - General Surgery, Colon and Rectal Surgery