You swallowed something that is not a poison, or toxin. In most cases this will not cause problems.
Your body will pass what you ate or drank. Drinking plenty of fluids and eating foods with fibre will help.
Liquid charcoal may be given to a person who has swallowed a non-toxic substance. If you were treated with liquid charcoal, expect your stools to be black for a couple of days. The doctor may give you instructions
for how to treat other side effects of charcoal, such as nausea and constipation.
The doctor has checked you carefully. But problems can develop later. If you notice any problems or new symptoms, get medical treatment right away.
Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor
or nurse call line if you are having problems. It's also a good idea to know your test results and
keep a list of the medicines you take.
Call 911 anytime you think you may need
emergency care. For example, call if:
Call your doctor or nurse call line now or seek immediate
medical care if:
Watch closely for changes in your health, and be sure to
contact your doctor or nurse call line if:
Go to https://www.healthwise.net/patientEd
Enter U607 in the search box to learn more about "Non-Toxic Ingestion: Care Instructions."
Current as of:
August 9, 2016
John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
& Brian D. O'Brien, MD - Internal Medicine & Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine & William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
© 2006-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Care instructions adapted under license by your healthcare professional. If you have questions about a medical condition or this instruction, always ask your healthcare professional. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information.