ALL
Health Information and Tools > Health A-Z >  Non-Toxic and Toxic Plants in Alberta
Facebook Tweet Email Share

Main Content

Poisoning

Non-toxic and toxic plants in Alberta

Indoor and outdoor plants can add beauty and warmth in a home or garden. Children and pets often explore and experience new things by putting them into their mouths. This can be a problem with some plants.

Each year poison centres across North America get thousands of calls about plants and whether they are poisonous (toxic) or not. Finding out about the plants you have in your home or garden can help keep your child or pet safe.

Non-toxic plants are not poisonous if you eat them. They may still cause mild symptoms like minor skin, eye, or mouth irritation.

Toxic plants can cause many symptoms like nausea and vomiting, and more severe skin and mouth irritation. Some toxic plants can cause heart problems, confusion or kidney damage if eaten.

​If the plant you are looking for isn’t on the list, or you have questions or concerns about exposure or eating these plants, please call PADIS (Poison and Drug Information Service)    1-800-332-1414 (Alberta).

This list contains some of the most common plants in Alberta.

Indoor Plants

Non-toxic

  • African violet
  • Aloe
  • Asparagus fern
  • Azalea
  • Begonia
  • Boston fern
  • Chinese evergreen
  • Croton
  • Dracaena
  • Easter lily
  • Fig tree
  • Fuchsia
  • Gloxinia
  • Hoya
  • Impatiens
  • Jade plant
  • Lipstick plant
  • Snake plant
  • Spider plant
  • Umbrella tree
  • Wandering Jew
  • Weeping fig
  • Yucca

Toxic

  • Cactus
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Schefflera
  • Peace lily
  • Philodendron
  • Rubber plant

Outdoor garden plants

Non-toxic

  • Alyssum
  • Aster
  • Begonia
  • Coleus
  • Creeping Charlie
  • Dandelions
  • Dracaena
  • Geranium
  • Impatiens
  • Marigold
  • Nasturtium
  • Pansy
  • Peony
  • Petunia
  • Phlox
  • Pussy willow
  • Roses
  • Snapdragon
  • Viola
  • Zinnia

Toxic

  • Azalea
  • Crocus
  • Daisy
  • Eucalyptus
  • Foxglove
  • Narcissus
  • Hyacinth
  • Jack-in-the-pulpit
  • Jimson weed
  • Larkspur water
  • Lily of the valley
  • Monkshood
  • Oleander
  • Hemlock
  • ​Pokeweed
  • Potatoes (green parts)
  • Rhubarb leaf
  • Tomato leaves
  • Tulip bulb
  • Walnut (green shell)

Trees, Berries

Non-toxic

  • Caragana tree and pods
  • Dogwood tree
  • Maple tree
  • Mountain ash berries
  • Poplar tree

Toxic

  • Cotoneaster berries
  • Mayday tree

Holiday Plants

Non-toxic

  • Holly berry leaves
  • Poinsettia (may cause skin irritation)

Toxic

  • Holly berries
  • Mistletoe
  • Yew (needles more toxic than berries)

Fruit Pits, Seeds

The pits listed below are non-toxic if they are swallowed whole. If the pits or seeds are opened and the contents chewed, they may be toxic. Always remove pits and seeds before giving fruits to your child, as they are a choking risk.

  • Apple
  • Apricot
  • Cherry
  • Pear
  • Peach
  • Plum

What to do if you think someone has been exposed to a poisonous plant.

 

Skin

Some plants can cause itching, blistering, or a rash when the plant or its sap touches your skin.

  1. Take off any soiled clothing.
  2. Rinse the skin under running water for 15 minutes.
  3. Wash the skin gently with soap and water. Rinse again.
  4. Call PADIS (Poison and Drug Information Service)               1-800-332-1414 (Alberta).

Eye

Your eyes may become irritated if you rub them after touching the plant or if a splash of plant sap gets in your eyes.

  1. Rinse your eye for 15 minutes with lukewarm water. Pour it from a large glass from about 5 cm to 7.5 cm (2 to 3 inches) above the eye.
  2. Blink as often as possible while rinsing your eye. Don’t force your eyelids open.
  3. Call PADIS (Poison and Drug Information Service)          1-800-332-1414 (Alberta).

Mouth

Choking is the first concern when your child puts any plant part in their mouth. A piece of the plant may get stuck in your child’s throat and block their airway.

  1. If you can see the plant, take it out. If you can’t, don’t stick your finger down your child’s throat to feel for it.
  2. Check your child's mouth for any irritation, swelling, and change in colour. Check if they are having trouble swallowing. If having trouble swallowing, seek medical help right away.
  3. If your child isn’t having trouble swallowing, give half a glass of water or milk.
  4. Don’t force vomiting.
  5. Don’t wait for symptoms to show before getting help.
  6. Call PADIS (Poison and Drug Information Service) 
    1-800-332-1414 (Alberta).

Current as of: March 1, 2022

Author: PADIS (Poison & Drug Information Service)