Health Information and Tools >  Provincial and Territorial Helplines and Websites
Facebook Tweet Email Share

Main Content

Provincial and Territorial Helplines and Websites

Topic Overview

If you want to save this information but don't think it is safe to take it home, see if a trusted friend can keep it for you. Plan ahead. Know who you can call for help, and memorize the phone number.

Be careful online too. Your online activity may be seen by others. Do not use your personal computer or device to read about this topic. Use a safe computer such as one at work, a friend's house, or a library.

This topic provides phone numbers and web addresses by province for:

  • Child abuse, elder abuse, and domestic violence resources.
  • Sexual assault (rape).
  • Suicide prevention.
  • Mental health information.
  • Drug and alcohol use problems.
  • Other health information.

Your local provincial health information line provides confidential help with:

  • Answering your health questions.
  • Assessing your symptoms.
  • Finding crisis support.
  • Finding information about resources in your community.

Many of the resources below have toll-free phone numbers and provide help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in multiple languages. In an emergency, call 911.

Canada-wide resources


  • Provincial Health Information Line. Health Link. Call 811 or visit
  • Alberta Human Services: Find Supports and Services. Visit one of the websites below or visit or call one of the numbers.
    • Family Violence Info Line. Chat online at or call 310-1818.
    • Child Abuse Hotline. Visit or call 1-800-387-5437.
    • Bullying: Get Help. Chat online at or call 1-888-456-2323.
  • Alberta Elder Abuse Awareness Council. Visit or call 310-1818.
  • Sexual Assault Services in Alberta. Visit for more information.
  • Mental Health Helpline. Call 1-877-303-2642.
  • Addiction Services Helpline. Call 1-866-332-2322.

British Columbia

  • Provincial Health Information Line. HealthLinkBC. Visit or call 811.
  • VictimLinkBC. Visit or call 1-800-563-0808.
  • Child Abuse Prevention Website: Helpline. Visit or call 310-1234.
  • BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services. Visit or call 310-6789.
  • Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention Centre of British Columbia. Visit or call 1-800-784-2433 (1-800-SUICIDE).
  • Here to Help. Visit for more information.
  • Kids Help Phone. Visit or call 1-800-668-6868.

New Brunswick

  • Provincial Health Information Line. Tele-Care: Visit or call 811.
  • Emergency Social Services. Visit to find the number for the office nearest you or call 1-800-442-9799.
  • Adult Protection. Visit for more information.
  • Fredericton Sexual Assault Centre. Visit or call (506) 454-0437.
  • Suicide Prevention CHIMO Helpline. Visit or call 1-800-667-5005.


  • Provincial Health Information Line. Telehealth Ontario: Visit or call 1-866-797-0000.
  • Assaulted Women's Helpline. Visit or call 1-866-863-0511.
  • Elder Abuse Ontario. Visit or call 1-866-299-1011.
  • Distress and Crisis Ontario: Member Centres. Visit to find the phone number for a crisis line in your calling area.
  • Drug and Alcohol Helpline. Call 1-800-565-8603.
  • Mental Health Helpline. Call 1-866-531-2600.


  • Provincial Health Information Line. Info-Sante. Visit or call 811.
  • Domestic Violence. Go to for more information.
  • La Ligne Aide Abus Aînés (Elder Mistreatment Helpline). Visit or call 1-888-489-2287.
  • Batshaw Youth and Family Centres Foundation. Call Youth Protection Services at (514) 935-6196 or visit for more information.
  • Drugs: Help and Referral. Visit or call 1-800-265-2626.
  • Preventing Suicide. Visit or call 1-866-277-3553.
  • Mental Health. Visit to learn more.


  • Provincial Health Information Line. HealthLine. Visit or call 811.
  • Victims of Crime and Abuse. Go to for a list of community-based organizations and their contact information.
  • Child Abuse and Neglect. Go to for a list of local child protection offices and their contact information.
  • Age Friendly Saskatchewan Senior Neglect and Abuse Awareness. Go to to learn more.
  • Mental Health and Addiction Services. Go to for a list of local mental health and addictions services.


  • Territorial Health Information Line. HealthLine: Visit or call 811. If you are calling from a satellite phone, you can dial (604) 215-4700 to reach the Health Services Representative at HealthLink BC.
  • Family and Children's Services. Visit or call 1-800-661-0408, ext. 3002.
  • VictimLink. Visit the Department of Justice "Need Help? Phone Directory" at or call 1-800-563-0808.
  • Abuse of Older Adults. Visit or call 1-800-661-0408, ext. 3946.
  • Alcohol and Drug Services. Call 1-866-456-3838.

Other provinces and territories

Check your local phone book or provincial or territorial website.


Adaptation Date: 8/20/2021

Adapted By: Alberta Health Services

Adaptation Reviewed By: Alberta Health Services

Adapted with permission from copyrighted materials from Healthwise, Incorporated (Healthwise). This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any warranty and is not responsible or liable for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.