Health Information and Tools > Patient Care Handouts >  Chemical Cardioversion: Care Instructions

Main Content

Chemical Cardioversion: Care Instructions

The electrical system of the heart (inner view)


Cardioversion resets your heart's rhythm to its normal pattern. It treats heart rhythm problems like atrial fibrillation or supraventricular tachycardia.

Chemical cardioversion uses rhythm-control medicines to reset your heart. They can also help keep your heart in a normal rhythm after it has been reset.

You may take this medicine as pills. Or you may get it in your arm through a tube called an I.V.

If you have an I.V., it will be done in the hospital. If you use the pills, you might take them in the hospital.

Your doctor may ask you to take other medicines before your cardioversion. They can help keep blood clots from forming. And they can prevent the heart-rate problem from coming back.

Sometimes the heart rate doesn't go back to normal. Or it may reset for a while and then go back to an uneven rate.

Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor or nurse advice line (811 in most provinces and territories) if you are having problems. It's also a good idea to know your test results and keep a list of the medicines you take.

How can you care for yourself at home?

  • Talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks of these medicines. They might cause serious side effects. Your doctor will want to see you often. Be sure to go to all of your doctor visits.
  • Take your medicines exactly as prescribed. Call your doctor or nurse advice line if you think you are having a problem with your medicine.
  • Check with your doctor or pharmacist before you use any other medicines. This includes over-the-counter medicines. Make sure your doctor knows all of the medicines and natural health products you take. Taking some medicines together can cause problems.
  • Have a heart-healthy lifestyle.
    • Don't smoke.
    • Be active.
    • Eat heart-healthy foods and limit or avoid alcohol.
    • Stay at a healthy weight. Lose weight if you need to.
    • Manage other health problems. If you think you may have a problem with alcohol or drug use, talk to your doctor.

When should you call for help?

Call 911 anytime you think you may need emergency care. For example, call if:

  • You passed out (lost consciousness).
  • You have symptoms of a heart attack. These may include:
    • Chest pain or pressure, or a strange feeling in the chest.
    • Sweating.
    • Shortness of breath.
    • Nausea or vomiting.
    • Pain, pressure, or a strange feeling in your back, neck, jaw, or upper belly or in one or both shoulders or arms.
    • Light-headedness or sudden weakness.
    • A fast or irregular heartbeat.

After you call 911, the operator may tell you to chew 1 adult-strength or 2 to 4 low-dose aspirin. Wait for an ambulance. Do not try to drive yourself.

  • You have symptoms of a stroke. These may include:
    • Sudden numbness, tingling, weakness, or loss of movement in your face, arm, or leg, especially on only one side of your body.
    • Sudden vision changes.
    • Sudden trouble speaking.
    • Sudden confusion or trouble understanding simple statements.
    • Sudden problems with walking or balance.
    • A sudden, severe headache that is different from past headaches.

Call your doctor or nurse advice line now or seek immediate medical care if:

  • You are dizzy or light-headed, or you feel like you may faint.
  • You have a fast or irregular heartbeat.

Watch closely for changes in your health, and be sure to contact your doctor or nurse advice line if you are having any problems.

Care instructions adapted under license by your healthcare professional. If you have questions about a medical condition or this instruction, always ask your healthcare professional. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information.