Blepharitis: Care Instructions
Blepharitis is an inflammation or infection of the eyelids. It causes dry, scaly crusts on the eyelids. It can also cause your eyes to itch, burn, and look red. This problem is more common in people who have rosacea, dandruff, skin allergies, or eczema.
Home treatment can help you keep your eyes comfortable. Your doctor may also prescribe an ointment to put on your eyelids.
Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor or nurse advice line (811 in most provinces and territories) if you are having problems. It's also a good idea to know your test results and keep a list of the medicines you take.
How can you care for yourself at home?
- Wash your eyelids and eyebrows daily with baby shampoo. To wash your eyelids:
- Place a warm, wet face cloth over your eyes for about a minute. This will help soften and loosen the crusts on your eyelashes.
- Put a few drops of baby shampoo on a warm face cloth.
- Gently wipe your eyelids and lashes. This helps remove any crust. It also cleans your eyelids.
- Rinse well with water.
- Use artificial tears eyedrops if your eyes are dry.
- Avoid wearing contact lenses or eye makeup while your eyelids are healing.
- Be safe with medicines. If your doctor prescribed medicine for you, use it exactly as directed. Call your doctor or nurse advice line if you think you are having a problem with your medicine.
When should you call for help?
Call your doctor or nurse advice line now or seek immediate medical care if:
- You have new vision problems.
- Your eyes hurt.
- Your eyelids bleed.
Watch closely for changes in your health, and be sure to contact your doctor or nurse advice line if:
- After 2 weeks of home treatment, your symptoms are not getting better.
- Your eye turns red, gets very teary, or has discharge.
Where can you learn more?
Go to https://www.healthwise.net/patientEd
Enter A019 in the search box to learn more about "Blepharitis: Care Instructions".
Current as of: January 24, 2022