If you have a possible poisoning emergency, call 911 or your local provincial Poison Control Centre immediately.
Many of the items in our homes can be poisonous to children-household cleaners, medicines, cosmetics, garden products, and houseplants. If these items are not kept out of reach, your child could swallow, inhale, or eat these toxic substances or get them on his or her skin.
Young children have the highest risk of poisoning because of their natural curiosity. Products that are poisonous to children can also harm pets.
Use the following tips to keep dangerous products or items away from children.
The first thing to do with a poisoning situation is to contact your local Poison Centre. If the child is having symptoms that could be life threatening, call 911.
Alberta Poison Centre- 1-800-332-1414 (toll-free, 24/7)
Provincial and Territorial Poison Centres (Canada)
Other Works Consulted
Wang G, et al. (2014). Poisoning. In WW Hay Jr et al., eds., Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Pediatrics, 22nd ed., pp. 357-386. New York: McGraw-Hill.
ByHealthwise StaffPrimary Medical ReviewerJohn Pope, MD - PediatricsAnne C. Poinier, MD - Internal MedicineAdam Husney, MD - Family MedicineKathleen Romito, MD - Family MedicineSpecialist Medical ReviewerThomas Emmett Francoeur, MD, MDCM, CSPQ, FRCPC - Pediatrics
Current as ofMay 4, 2017
Current as of: May 4, 2017
John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
& Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine & Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine & Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine & Thomas Emmett Francoeur, MD, MDCM, CSPQ, FRCPC - Pediatrics
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.