Allergy skin tests are done to find out if a substance, called an
allergen, may cause an allergic response. A small amount of a suspected
allergen is placed on or below the skin to see if a reaction develops.
There are three types of skin tests:
Allergy skin tests are done
to find out what things your child is allergic to.
medicines can affect the results of an allergy skin test, including tricyclic
antidepressants and antihistamines such as cetirizine (Reactine), fexofenadine
(Allegra), and loratadine (Claritin).
Be sure to tell your doctor
about all the medicines your child takes. Your child may need to stop taking
some medicines before getting an allergy skin test.
The doctor will:
Your child will wear the patches for 24 to 72 hours. Make
sure that your child does not take a bath or shower or do any activities that
could cause a lot of sweating while wearing the patches. This could loosen the
patches and cause them to fall off.
After your child has worn the
patches for 24 to 72 hours, the doctor will remove the patches and check your
child's skin for signs of an allergic reaction.
results of the skin prick or intradermal test will be available right after the
test is done. The results from the skin patch test may be available right away,
or when the doctor removes the patches. But a skin patch test reaction might not be seen for up to 2 days after a patch is removed.
If your child has an
allergic reaction from any of the skin tests, he or she may have some itching,
tenderness, and swelling where the allergen solutions were placed on the
Allergy skin tests
usually take less than an hour.
Go to https://www.healthwise.net/patientEd
Enter H941 in the search box to learn more about "Allergy Skin Tests: About Your Child's Tests."
Current as of:
October 14, 2016
Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
& Martin J. Gabica, MD - Family Medicine & E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine & Lora J. Stewart, MD - Allergy and Immunology
© 2006-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Care instructions adapted under license by your healthcare professional. If you have questions about a medical condition or this instruction, always ask your healthcare professional. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information.