Allergic conjunctivitis (say "kun-JUNK-tih-VY-tus") is an eye problem that many children get. It is often called pink eye. In pink eye, the lining of the eyelid and the eye surface become red and swollen. The lining is called the conjunctiva (say "kawn-junk-TY-vuh").
Pink eye can be caused by bacteria, a virus, or an allergy.
Your child's pink eye is caused by an allergy. A substance (allergen) triggers a reaction that results in the symptoms. This type of pink eye cannot be spread from person to person. Your child may have other symptoms of an allergy, such as a runny nose.
Allergic pink eye goes away when you keep your child away from the allergen that triggers the pink eye. Triggers include pollen, mould, and animal skin cells (dander). But because it is not always possible to stay away from triggers, your doctor may suggest eyedrops to treat the symptoms. Antibiotics do not help with allergies.
Follow-up care is a key part of your child's treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor or nurse call line if your child is having problems. It's also a good idea to know your child's test results and keep a list of the medicines your child takes.
Use medicines as directed
Make your child comfortable
Call your doctor or nurse call line now or seek immediate medical care if:
Watch closely for changes in your child's health, and be sure to contact your doctor or nurse call line if:
Go to https://www.healthwise.net/patientEd
Enter N976 in the search box to learn more about "Allergic Conjunctivitis in Children: Care Instructions".
Current as of: March 20, 2017
Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
& Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine & William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
©2006-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Care instructions adapted under license by your healthcare professional. If you have questions about a medical condition or this instruction, always ask your healthcare professional. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information.