Top of the page
Note: If a chemical has been swallowed that may be a poison or may cause burning in the throat and esophagus, call your local Poison Control Centre immediately for information on treatment. When you call the Poison Control Centre, have the chemical container with you, so you can read the content label to the Poison Control staff member. The Poison Control Centre can help determine what steps to take next.
Most chemical burns of the skin are treated first by rinsing (flushing) the chemical off your body with a large amount of room temperature water, but not all chemicals are treated this way. It is important to treat the burn correctly to avoid further complications.
Hydrofluoric acid is flushed with a large amount of water and treated with calcium gluconate. You need immediate medical care.
Some chemical burns are made worse if rinsed (flushed) with water.
The most important first aid for a chemical in the eye is to immediately flush the substance out with large amounts of water to reduce the chance of serious eye damage. For any chemical burn to the eye, see the topic Burns to the Eye.
If evaluation by your doctor is necessary, take the chemical container with you.
Adaptation Date: 5/5/2021
Adapted By: Alberta Health Services
Adaptation Reviewed By: Alberta Health Services
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2021 Healthwise, Incorporated. All rights reserved. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.