Top of the page
If you have a possible poisoning emergency, call 911 or your local provincial Poison Control Centre immediately.
Many of the items in our homes can be poisonous to children—household cleaners, medicines, cosmetics, garden products, and houseplants. If these items are not kept out of reach, your child could swallow, inhale, or eat these toxic substances or get them on his or her skin.
Young children have the highest risk of poisoning because of their natural curiosity. Products that are poisonous to children can also harm pets.
Use the following tips to keep dangerous products or items away from children.
Other Works ConsultedWang G, et al. (2014). Poisoning. In WW Hay Jr et al., eds., Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Pediatrics, 22nd ed., pp. 357–386. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Adaptation Date: 10/29/2020
Adapted By: Alberta Health Services
Adaptation Reviewed By: Alberta Health Services
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2020 Healthwise, Incorporated. All rights reserved. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.