Your Care Instructions
When you swallow food, liquid, or an object, it passes from your mouth and goes down your throat and esophagus and into your stomach. But sometimes these things can get stuck in your throat or esophagus. This may make you choke, cough, or gag. Some objects can cause more problems than others. Sharp, long, or large objects can scratch or cut your throat, your esophagus, and your stomach if they get stuck or if they are swallowed. When this happens, these areas can bleed or get infected.
If the object was stuck in your throat or esophagus, your doctor probably removed it. If you swallowed the object, your doctor may have suggested that you wait and see if the object comes out in your stool. Most swallowed objects will pass through your body without any problem and show up in your stool within 3 days. If the object does not show up in your stool within 7 days, your doctor may order tests to find out where it is in your body.
Your throat may feel sore after you have had an object removed or have swallowed an object that has scratched your throat. It may hurt for a few days when you eat or swallow. The scratch itself may make it feel as if something is still stuck in your throat.
Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor or nurse advice line (811 in most provinces and territories) if you are having problems. It is also a good idea to know your test results and keep a list of the medicines you take.
Where can you learn more?
Go to https://www.healthwise.net/patientEd
Enter Q282 in the search box to learn more about "Swallowed Object in Throat or Esophagus: Care Instructions".