Health Information and Tools > Patient Care Handouts >  Genital Injury in Boys: Care Instructions

Main Content

Genital Injury in Boys: Care Instructions

Child's circumcised penis


Male genitals can be injured easily. This is because the scrotum and penis are not protected by bones.

A genital injury can be very painful. But the pain usually goes away quickly. And in most cases, there is no long-term damage.

This type of injury often happens as a result of sports, activities, or falls. Sometimes a young child might play with toys or other objects near the penis. This can cause an injury.

A minor injury can usually be treated at home.

Follow-up care is a key part of your child's treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor or nurse advice line (811 in most provinces and territories) if your child is having problems. It's also a good idea to know your child's test results and keep a list of the medicines your child takes.

How can you care for your child at home?

  • Have your child rest. Your child should not do anything that may cause pain or soreness.
  • Put ice or a cold pack on the area for 10 to 20 minutes at a time. Put a thin cloth between the ice and your child's skin.
  • Be safe with medicines. Read and follow all instructions on the label.
    • If the doctor gave your child a prescription medicine for pain, give it as prescribed.
    • If your child is not taking a prescription pain medicine, ask your doctor if your child can take an over-the-counter medicine.

When should you call for help?

Call your doctor or nurse advice line now or seek immediate medical care if:

  • Your child has signs of infection, such as:
    • Increased pain, swelling, warmth, or redness.
    • Red streaks leading from the area.
    • Pus draining from the area.
    • A fever.
  • Your child has symptoms of a urinary tract infection. These may include:
    • Pain when your child urinates.
    • Urinating more often than usual.
    • Blood in your child's urine.
  • Your child has new or worse swelling in the scrotum.
  • Your child has new or worse pain.

Watch closely for changes in your child's health, and be sure to contact your doctor or nurse advice line if:

  • Your child does not get better as expected.

Where can you learn more?

Go to

Enter P230 in the search box to learn more about "Genital Injury in Boys: Care Instructions".

Care instructions adapted under license by your healthcare professional. If you have questions about a medical condition or this instruction, always ask your healthcare professional. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information.