Urethrocele: Care Instructions

Skip to the navigation

Your Care Instructions

Urethrocele is a problem with the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside of the body. This tube is called the urethra. When the urethra sags or presses into the vagina, it is called urethrocele or urethral prolapse.

This problem happens when the pelvic muscles and tissues get weak or damaged. This may occur after a woman has children or when she gets older. Or it may happen after surgery.

In most cases, urethrocele does not cause serious health problems. But it may cause you to leak urine. You may notice this when you cough, laugh, or jump. You may also have problems emptying your bladder. And you may feel pressure in your vagina and pain during sex.

You may feel better if you change how you do some of your daily activities. And you can try exercises to make your pelvic muscles strong. But if these don't help, you may want to talk with your doctor about surgery.

Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor or nurse call line if you are having problems. It's also a good idea to know your test results and keep a list of the medicines you take.

How can you care for yourself at home?

  • Do not do activities that put pressure on your pelvic muscles. This includes heavy lifting and straining.
  • Do exercises to tighten and strengthen your pelvic muscles. These are called Kegel exercises. To do them:
    • Squeeze the same muscles you would use to stop your urine. Your belly and thighs should not move.
    • Hold the squeeze for 3 seconds, then relax for 3 seconds.
    • Start with 3 seconds. Then add 1 second each week until you are able to squeeze for 10 seconds.
    • Repeat the exercise 10 to 15 times for each session. Do three or more sessions each day.
  • Talk with your doctor about a vaginal pessary. This is a device that you put in your vagina to support the uterus. Your doctor can teach you how and when to remove it. You will also learn how to clean it and put it back in.
  • If your doctor prescribes vaginal estrogen cream, use it exactly as prescribed.

When should you call for help?

Watch closely for changes in your health, and be sure to contact your doctor or nurse call line if:

  • You have new urinary symptoms. These may include leaking urine, having pain when urinating, or feeling like you need to urinate often.
  • You have trouble passing stool.
  • You have pain or a feeling of fullness in your vagina.
  • You do not get better as expected.

Where can you learn more?

Go to https://www.healthwise.net/patientEd

Enter D438 in the search box to learn more about "Urethrocele: Care Instructions".