Health Information and Tools > Patient Care Handouts >  Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac in Teens: Care Instructions
Facebook Tweet Share

Main Content

Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac in Teens: Care Instructions

Poison oak, poison sumac, poison ivy

Your Care Instructions

Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants that can cause a skin rash upon contact. The red, itchy rash often shows up in lines or streaks and may cause fluid-filled blisters or large, raised hives.

The rash is caused by an allergic reaction to an oil in poison ivy, oak, and sumac. The rash may occur when you touch the plant or when you touch clothing, pet fur, sporting gear, gardening tools, or other objects that have come in contact with one of these plants.

You cannot catch or spread the rash, even if you touch it or the blister fluid, because the plant oil will already have been absorbed or washed off the skin. The rash may seem to be spreading, but either it is still developing from earlier contact or you have touched something that still has the plant oil on it.

Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor or nurse call line if you are having problems. It's also a good idea to know your test results and keep a list of the medicines you take.

How can you care for yourself at home?

  • If your doctor prescribed a cream, use it as directed. If your doctor prescribed medicine, take it exactly as prescribed. Call your doctor or nurse call line if you think you are having a problem with your medicine.
  • Use cold, wet cloths to reduce itching.
  • Keep cool, and stay out of the sun.
  • Leave the rash open to the air.
  • Wash all clothing or other things that may have come in contact with the plant oil.
  • Avoid most lotions and ointments until the rash heals. Calamine lotion may help relieve symptoms of a plant rash. Use it 3 or 4 times a day.

To prevent poison ivy exposure

The best way to prevent future rashes is to learn to identify these plants and avoid them.

When you can't avoid contact with the plants:

  • Wear long pants, long sleeves, and closed shoes to help keep the oil from getting on your skin.
  • Wear vinyl or leather gloves. Rubber (latex), cotton, or wool gloves offer no protection.
  • Wash well or throw away anything that came into contact with the plants.
  • Be sure to wash your hands before and after you use the washroom.

When should you call for help?

Call your doctor or nurse call line now or seek immediate medical care if:

  • You have signs of infection, such as:
    • Increased pain, swelling, warmth, or redness.
    • Red streaks leading from the rash.
    • Pus draining from the rash.
    • A fever.

Watch closely for changes in your health, and be sure to contact your doctor or nurse call line if:

  • Your rash does not clear up after 1 to 2 weeks.
  • You do not get better as expected.

Where can you learn more?

Go to

Enter T385 in the search box to learn more about "Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac in Teens: Care Instructions".

Care instructions adapted under license by your healthcare professional. If you have questions about a medical condition or this instruction, always ask your healthcare professional. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information.