Health Information and Tools > Patient Care Handouts >  Hypospadias in Children: Care Instructions
Facebook Tweet Share

Main Content

Hypospadias in Children: Care Instructions

Your Care Instructions

Hypospadias (say "hy-puh-SPAY-dee-us") in males is when the opening of the tube (urethra) leading from the bladder does not extend to the tip of the penis. Instead, the opening is on the underside of the penis.

Your child will need surgery. The doctor will create a new opening that allows urine to drain as it should through the penis. Your doctor may hold off on surgery for several months until your child can handle the pain medicine.

Follow-up care is a key part of your child's treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor or nurse advice line (811 in most provinces and territories) if your child is having problems. It's also a good idea to know your child's test results and keep a list of the medicines your child takes.

How can you care for your child at home?

  • Have your child take medicines exactly as prescribed. Call your doctor or nurse advice line if your child has any problems with his medicine. You will get more details on the specific medicines your doctor prescribes.
  • Go to all doctor visits so that the doctor can check your child for problems.

When should you call for help?

Call your doctor or nurse advice line now or seek immediate medical care if:

  • Your child has a rectal temperature less than 36.6°C (97.5°F) or more than 38°C (100.4°F). Call if you can't take your child's temperature, but he or she seems hot.
  • Your baby has not urinated at least 2 times in 24 hours or shows signs of needing more fluids, such as strong-smelling urine with a dark yellow colour.
  • Your baby is rarely awake and does not wake up for feedings, is very fussy, or seems too tired or uninterested to eat.
  • Your baby does not have regular bowel movements.
  • Your baby cries in an unusual way or for an unusual length of time.
  • Your baby is fussy or seems to have pain that is not helped by acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin).

Watch closely for changes in your child's health, and be sure to contact your doctor or nurse advice line if your child has any problems.

Where can you learn more?

Go to

Enter J916 in the search box to learn more about "Hypospadias in Children: Care Instructions".

Care instructions adapted under license by your healthcare professional. If you have questions about a medical condition or this instruction, always ask your healthcare professional. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information.