Spermatocele: Care Instructions

Skip to the navigation
The male genitals

Your Care Instructions

A spermatocele is a collection of sperm in the scrotum that forms a lump. These lumps are common and are more likely to form as a man gets older. They do not turn into cancer.

Doctors don't know what causes them. A blockage in the tube that carries sperm through the scrotum can cause sperm to collect. The blockage can be caused by an injury to the scrotum or an infection. But most of the time, the cause is not found.

You may need only pain medicine. But if the lump is large or very painful, you may have surgery to remove it. Or your doctor may inject medicine into the lump. This can make it go away. But another lump can form after treatment.

Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor or nurse call line if you are having problems. It's also a good idea to know your test results and keep a list of the medicines you take.

How can you care for yourself at home?

  • Take your medicine exactly as prescribed. If your doctor prescribed antibiotics, take them as directed. Do not stop taking them just because you feel better. You need to take the full course of antibiotics.
  • Take pain medicines exactly as directed.
    • If the doctor gave you a prescription medicine for pain, take it as prescribed.
    • If you are not taking a prescription pain medicine, take an over-the-counter medicine such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or naproxen (Aleve). Be safe with medicines. Read and follow all instructions on the label.
    • Do not take two or more pain medicines at the same time unless the doctor told you to. Many pain medicines have acetaminophen, which is Tylenol. Too much acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be harmful.
  • Learn how to check your testicles so you can see if the lump changes. This can also help you find a spermatocele that comes back after treatment.

When should you call for help?

Call your doctor or nurse call line now or seek immediate medical care if:

  • You have bleeding or discharge from your penis.
  • Your urine is cloudy or smells bad.
  • You have pain in your pubic area.

Watch closely for changes in your health, and be sure to contact your doctor or nurse call line if:

  • You do not get better as expected.

Where can you learn more?

Go to https://www.healthwise.net/patientEd

Enter E522 in the search box to learn more about "Spermatocele: Care Instructions".