Toxic shock syndrome is a rare illness. It's caused by poisons from strep or staph bacteria. Usually these bacteria cause an infection that can be treated easily. But sometimes they cause a serious reaction that can make your organs fail. This can include your lungs, kidneys, and liver.
This illness sometimes happens in women who use super-absorbent tampons. You can also get it after you get chickenpox, the flu, or skin wounds.
Toxic shock syndrome needs treatment right away in a hospital.
Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor or nurse call line if you are having problems. It's also a good idea to know your test results and keep a list of the medicines you take.
Call 911 anytime you think you may need emergency care. For example, call if:
Call your doctor or nurse call line now or seek immediate medical care if:
Watch closely for changes in your health, and be sure to contact your doctor if:
Go to https://www.healthwise.net/patientEd
Enter U243 in the search box to learn more about "Toxic Shock Syndrome: Care Instructions".
Current as of: November 18, 2017
Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
©2006-2018 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Care instructions adapted under license by your healthcare professional. If you have questions about a medical condition or this instruction, always ask your healthcare professional. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information.