Use this journal as a tool to help you meet your eating goals. When you review your journal, you can see the progress you’ve made, or you may decide to make new goals.
How to fill in the journal
- Print or save the
3-Day Food and Activity Journal.
- Write down everything you eat and drink. You may want to record
one weekday (or
one Saturday or
- How much food you ate. See the suggestions below to estimate portion sizes. If the food comes in a package, just write down the package size. Example: 175 mL container of yogurt.
- How the food is cooked (for example: fried, baked, boiled, barbecued)
- Anything you add to food, during or after cooking. Example: cream, sugar, oil, butter, jam, syrup, ketchup or other sauces, dressings or condiments.
- Details about restaurant foods, fast foods, or packaged foods (for example: McDonald’s Big Mac® or KFC® chicken).
- Measure the food you eat for a day or two to help you understand how much you eat and drink. Use measuring cups and spoons.
- Write down all your
activities for the day. Include planned activities (going for a walk or swim) and activities of daily life (housework or grocery shopping). Comments may include where you ate, your mood, or stress level.
- Print more copies of the journal if you need more space to write.
- Read over your journals to see what is working well and what you may want to change.
- Keep on tracking. Use this tool to help you meet your goals, or to make new goals.
To estimate portion sizes, use the guidelines below:
This amount of food:||
Is about the same size as:|
|2½ oz (75g) of meat||a hockey puck|
|1½ oz (50 g) of cheese||2 white erasers|
|1 cup (250 mL)||a baseball or fist|
|½ cup (125 mL)||a hockey puck|
|1 medium piece of fruit||a tennis ball|
|2 Tbsp (30 mL)||1 golf ball|
|¼ cup (60 mL)||2 golf balls|
|1 tsp (5 mL) – use for butter, margarine, mayonnaise||a thumb tip or one die|
Example of how to fill in your food journal:
Day 1: Thursday||
Day 2: Saturday|
Breakfast (First Meal)|
- 1 cup Bran Flakes® with 1 tsp sugar and ½ cup 1% milk
- 1 cup coffee black
- 1 slice whole wheat toast with 2 tsp soft margarine
- 1 egg fried in 1 tsp butter with 3 strips of bacon
- 2 slices whole wheat toast with 2 tsp soft margarine
- 2 cups tea (chamomile)
- 1 carrot muffin - Tim Hortons®
- 1 medium black coffee - Tim Hortons®
3 Day Food and Activity Journal.