How to Start Being Active
The importance of being physically active outdoors
Looking for a way to get healthy? Go outdoors for a walk or a bike ride. Walking or being physically active outdoors is an easy, low-cost way to boost your mental health. It can improve your fitness level and you get other health benefits too.
Being physically active outdoors can help your body, mind, and spirit. If your child is active outdoors more often, it can help lower the risk of health problems like obesity. It can also:
- decrease symptoms of attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- increase vitamin D, which may help prevent bone problems, heart disease, and diabetes
- helps them to see distances better and lowers the risk of nearsightedness
Being outdoors more often can help your child get to know their neighborhood better. This can make them be more self-confident.
Spending more time being active outdoors can help you manage your weight better. It may also give you other health benefits like:
- boosting your mental health
- increasing energy
- lowering your risk of diabetes, heart disease, and some types of cancer
Being outdoors more can also make you feel good about and want to get involved in your community.
Adults and children can benefit from being active outdoors and spending time with family and friends. Many memories are created when people spend time outdoors together.
Current as of: October 24, 2018
Author: Chronic Disease Prevention, Alberta Health Services