Main Content

Recovering After Lower Limb Amputation


Having a limb amputation may affect your ability to drive. In Alberta, it is your legal responsibility to tell Alberta Transportation, Driver Fitness and Monitoring of any changes to your health that could affect your ability to drive. Amputations are a medical change that must be reported.

Driving after amputation

You may need special equipment or vehicle adaptations such as a left foot accelerator pedal or hand controls before you can drive. These require approval from Alberta Transportation before being installed.

It’s not always safe to drive with a prosthesis. Talk to your rehabilitation team to clarify when you may need to take off the prosthesis in the vehicle.

If you have numbness or tingling in your foot or leg, it may not be safe to drive with that limb.

You may need to complete a road test and lessons to learn how to drive safely after a limb amputation.

Contact Alberta Transportation

You can report a change in your health to Alberta Transportation in a few ways:

  • Visit an Alberta Registry location near you.
  • Call Alberta Transportation toll free: 310-0000.
  • Use the online contact form.

Once you have let Alberta Transportation know of a change in your health status, you will be contacted by mail and asked to give medical documents about your health.

Your doctor may need to fill out a Medical Examination for Motor Vehicle Operators form. This form is available online, at your doctor’s office, or at any Alberta Registry office. Your doctor may charge a fee to fill out the form.

When Alberta Transportation has the information they need, they will send you a letter to let you know if you can start driving again or if you need to do a driver assessment or a road test to check your ability to drive. If you need a road test, you can schedule one at an Alberta Registry office.

Visit Driver Medical Fitness to learn more.

Driver assessments

Alberta Transportation or your doctor may also ask you to have a test to check your ability to drive (called a functional or comprehensive driving assessment). An occupational therapist, driving rehabilitation specialist, or an independent assessment agency will do the assessment. There may be a cost.

The assessment will give you information about your ability to drive and suggestions for vehicle adaptations that will help you drive safely.

Note: If you need a left foot accelerator pedal or hand controls in your vehicle, you need to have these before you take a road test.​

Go to Top