Before you decide to have bariatric surgery, it’s important to understand how the surgery changes your body, how it’s done, and what to expect after the surgery. Answer these questions to find out what you know about bariatric surgery.
1. Obesity is a long-lasting (chronic) disease that needs lifelong treatment. Bariatric surgery is one treatment option for obesity.
2. What are the benefits of having bariatric surgery? (There may be more than one correct answer.)
3. After bariatric surgery, I’ll need to make lifestyle changes that last the rest of my life.
4. If I smoke, I’ll need to quit before I have bariatric surgery. And I can’t smoke after the surgery. If I don’t stop smoking, I won’t be able to have bariatric surgery.
5. How will my life change after bariatric surgery? (There may be more than one correct answer.)
6. If I want to have children, what do I need to think about before I decide to have bariatric surgery or after I have bariatric surgery? (There may be more than one correct answer.)
You can print out the answers to this quiz if you want to look at it later.