Literacy is the group of skills that you use to read and enjoy books and other written materials (e.g., letters, magazines, web pages).
Reading and literacy involve many things, like:
- being able to hear the sounds that make up a language
- sounding out written words
- recognizing some words without needing to sound them out
- reading words easily and smoothly
- understanding what you read
- enjoying books and stories
Because written words are all around us, people who have problems with literacy can struggle with many activities at home, school, work, and in the community.