Being prepared and knowing what to expect will help you and your child, as you get ready for their surgery. Follow these tips on the day before surgery.
Confirm arrival time and instructions about when to stop eating or drinking
The hospital will let you know what time to be at the hospital to register, where to go to check in, and give you instructions on eating and drinking before surgery. It’s very important that you follow these instructions for your child’s safety and to avoid the surgery being delayed or cancelled.
Plan and prepare
Make sure you plan and prepare the day before your child’s surgery:
- Make a list of all the medicines your child takes, including over-the-counter medicines like vitamins and herbal supplements. If you need help with the list, ask your pharmacy for a printout or use
Medication Lists and Tools to keep track of your child’s medicine.
- Review any instructions you got about when to give your child any medicines they need on the day of surgery.
- If your child has a fever or flu-like symptoms, call your surgeon’s office as soon as possible and let them know.
- Plan on where to park or plan your trip if using public transit.
- Check that your plan of where you’ll stay if you are coming in from out of town is still OK.
What to pack
On the day of surgery, bring only what you and your child need for the first 24 hours in the hospital, and only what you can carry. This includes:
- your child’s provincial healthcare card and birth certificate or passport
- guardianship papers for the child (if this applies)
- all forms you were asked to fill out for your child’s surgery
- a list of all the medicines your child takes
- important medicine that your child needs for the first 24 hours so they can take their medicines when they need to
- any medical equipment or supplies that your child needs during their stay
- books, games, and other items to keep your child busy while you wait
- personal items that your child may need during their hospital stay
- your own personal items and medicines if you are staying overnight with your child
See our suggested