Preventing Slips, Trips and Falls
How to Get Up From the Floor by Yourself
- Keep calm.
- Check your body.
- If you are injured, call for help. Stay warm.
- If you are not hurt, look for a sturdy piece of furniture, like a chair.
1. Roll onto your side.
2. Crawl over to a chair or sturdy furniture.
3. From a kneeling position, put your arms up onto the seat of the chair.
4. Bring 1 knee forward and put that foot on the floor.
5. Push up with your arms and legs, pivot your bottom around.
6. Sit down. Rest before trying to move.
Let your healthcare provider know after you have a fall.
To learn more about your risk of falling complete the
“Is there a chance you might fall?” checklist.
“Don’t fall for it. Falls can be prevented!" State Government of South Australia. 2004. Copyright Commonwealth of Australia. Reproduced by permission.
Current as of: June 30, 2019
Author: Fall Risk Management Program