Make every ride a safe ride for your baby. Take extra care to choose a car seat that's right for a preterm or low birth weight baby. Use it for every ride. Add the check points below when you use the
Rear-facing Car Seat YES Test for your preterm or low birth weight baby's car seat.
To fit my baby's small size, I make sure:
- The car seat is made only for rear-facing use.
- The lowest shoulder slot is less than 25 cm (10 inches) from the bottom of the seat.
- The slot for the crotch strap is less than 14 cm (5.5 inches) from the back of the seat.
Not sure if your baby is preterm or low birth weight? Talk to your healthcare provider.
Buckling my small baby in the car seat
- If my baby needs help staying in the centre of the car seat, I place a small, rolled up receiving blanket or towel on either side of their body.
- If my baby slides down in the seat, I call the car seat manufacturer to find out if I can place a small, rolled up receiving blanket or towel between my baby’s legs and the crotch strap.
I make sure:
- My baby uses the car seat for travel only.
- When we reach where we’re going, I take my baby out of the car seat.
- My baby lays flat in the stroller and other baby equipment.
For more information: